Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kansas (from Saturday)

Saturday started out in Kansas City, Missouri. I visited Crown Center which is where the Hallmark company is headquartered. They have a great visitor center/museum of their history.












KC is apparently known for their BBQ so I had a pile of pulled pork with potatoes for lunch.















In Topeka I saw the Brown vs. Board of Education National Historic Sight. This was one of the 1st schools to legally challenge segregation in the 1950s.















When in Kansas...think of OZ. Or, at least Wamusa where this OZ museum is located. There were some very fun and impressive displays.
Another part of Kansas has an actual brick road and replica of Dorothy's farm house, but that was way out of my way.




One block over was the Oz winery. They had free tastings : ) of some of their unique flavors: Witch in a Ditch, Run Toto Run, O.E.O, and Yellow Brick Road. I don't know much about wine but they sure were good!
There was also a beautiful park in town with a dutch windmill, playground, and this pond. There was a very nice small-town feel to the area. Nice place to visit, but I would not want to live there.

1 comment:

Sabrina Steyling said...

Love the pic of you and Maxine! ^_^ And yum - pulled pork! My mouth is watering just thinking about that! And I'd love to visit Oz someday...Glad you had a good (and safe) time!