Here's a fun recipe from the book Popcorn Cookery: 200 new ways to enjoy popcorn.
Yes, it's true that I don't like popcorn but this is actually pretty good. It's similar to caramel corn but with a richer flavor. I suppose you could switch in different sodas and nuts to vary the taste. Let me know if you do that. Would love to hear your combinations.
ROOT BEER CRUNCH
10 cups fresh popped popcorn (the original recipe called for 8 but I think it makes enough "sauce" to coat more than that - use your judgement)
1 cup salted pecans
1 (12 oz) bottle root beer
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 250
Combine popcorn and pecans in a deep pan (buttered or coated with cooking spray)
Keep popcorn warm in the oven
Butter (or spray) a large cookie sheet, set aside
Pour root beer slowly into a large saucepan
Add sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt
Stir gently, but well
Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar melts
Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 250 (use a digital thermometer to keep track of the temp. If it does not get hot enough, it will not work. Trust me. I failed at this my 1st time because of that)
Remove popcorn and pecans from oven
Pour syrup mixture over popcorn and pecans (remember it is HOT so be very careful)
Mix well until all popcorn is coated
Spread popcorn on buttered cookie sheet
Cool Completely
Break into pieces to serve
2 comments:
This looks like great Fall comfort food. It must be good if you are not a fan of popcorn, but you like this. Can't wait to try it!
Yum, thanks for the recipe. Now I'm going to have to make this for Lisa. :) I'm kidding...maybe she'll be the one to be so bold.
Post a Comment