There's a movie called "Play the Game"
(http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/catalog/movieDetails/433176)
which chronicles the dating adventures of a man and his grandfather.
The movie itself has a great story line, but there are some "adult" conversations and situations so please use your own discretion when deciding whether or not to watch it yourself.
My favorite line of the movie was when Grandpa said "You're *darn* right I'm afraid of getting hurt. Getting hurt hurts!"
So many times we let fear hold us back from things. What if we get hurt? Or embarrassed? Or rejected? Or ignored? Or fail? Or succeed? Or.....(insert your own fear here)?
It seems to be so much easier to stay in our comfort zones doing what already know well.
Two phrases that have been on my mind lots lately are:
Courgae is faith in the face of fear.
Faith is fear in action.
Fear can be a paralyzing emotion. Yes, there are some good and rational fears - but any fear that freezes us and/or causes us to not be faithful followers of where God is leading is dangerous.
I'm not just talking about great big acts of obedience here. This includes everyday things like witnessing to people and showing compassion, and being good stewards of our time/money/talents, and living honestly, and...(insert your own ideas here).
Having some fear while we step out reminds us that we need to rely on God.
Pray these verses for a little jump-start to courage : )
Psalm 34:4
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
1 comment:
What a great reminder to stay strong, to push forward, and to have a hope that is founded in faith. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and these verses.
Post a Comment