Tuesday, February 22, 2011

VULNERABLE...context 1

The 1st time I was told to be vulnerable was at the chiropractor's office. Picture if you will me laying face down on the adjustment table. He moves my head up/back and all the way to the right, my left hip at the left edge of the table, and my feet hanging off the right edge...kind of in a big "C" shape. Not quite comfortable. Now, I know that what's coming next is going to really hurt so I naturally tense up. And every single time he has to tell me to just relax and trust him and breathe through it. I do, and it hurts a bit, and I get over it, and he says "good job". Yea, it's fun. The other parts of my treatment go easily (except for the part where he puts me in an almost fetal position and I have to concentrate on not farting - but that's a story for another time LOL)

I have to wonder if the pain is more in my head than in my back. Does the anticipation of it make it worse? "They" say that whatever does not kill us will make us stronger. That slight amount of pain leads to a great amount of strength and comfort in the long run. By opening myself up to a small controlled hurt, I am actually preventing a larger hurt.

I don't know that there's any true spiritual application to this, but one verse comes to mind that might be somewhat applicable, even if it is out of context:
Romans 5:3 "we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance"
There's things in our lives now that may seem painful and unpleasant, but if we rely on God to help us work through them we will come out stronger in the end.

2 comments:

Russell Huizing said...

Amen!! Well said!

Denise Keegan Frawley said...

Good point you made in the first sentence in the second paragraph, i think that happens sometimes with me with emotional/mental things. Anticipation is brutal sometimes!

Also hee hee at the farting comment!!