During the past two weeks, two different people in two totally different circumstances told me that I need to be/become vulnerable. The thought stayed on my mind although I have been way too busy to do anything with it until now. I really only had a vague concept of what the word meant so today I decided to look it up.
According to www.thefreedictionary.com, vulnerable means:
a. Susceptible to physical or emotional injury
b. Susceptible to attack
c. Open to censure or criticism; assailable
Although these definitions fit well within the conversations that the vulnerable concept was suggested to me, knowing exactly what it means makes me want to NOT do it! Am I alone in thinking that opening myself up to physical and emotional injury, attack, and criticism sounds bad? I mean, that's pretty much what I have spent most of my life so far trying to avoid have happen (happening?)
But, since I trust the people who have spoken this to me I am going to look into it some more before deciding either way what to do. This week's blogs will be kind of a word study if you want to follow along.
3 comments:
I would first try to question the people who told you to be more vulnerable and ask them what they think the meaning of the word is. I would also like to know what context this was mentioned. If it is in the sense that you should be open to new experiences and meeting new people, then yes, there is always that element of possibility of getting hurt and rejected, so yes you would have to be vulnerable with the understanding that there is always the possibility of getting hurt, but then again, there is also the possibility of starting something wonderful.. is that what you were getting at?
I would agree with Lisa that the context is important. If the context of the vulnerability is either silence or fear, then I do not think it is appropriate. However, if the context of the vulnerability is for the proclamation of the glory of God, then it is appropriate, even if harm comes to us (Phil 2:5-11).
Also, I do not think that it is possible to have a relationship of any value without vulnerability (not sure if that's because it is the nature of relationship or the brokenness of the world we live in). I have seen many sad and lonely people who have avoided vulnerability but have no substantial relationships in their life...there is always a price to pay for avoiding pain...
OK...I guess that's probably more than you wanted...having a good day today? :D
Wow, guys...way to give away a week's worth of blogs in one comment section!
Russell you're absolutely right about the effects of relationships w/o vulnerabliity - been there, done that.
Post a Comment