I don't know what happened to the format I tried to use yesterday.
It looked much neater in the preview than the post. Sorry about that!
Anyhow...I got a nice early start this morning. Drove 490 miles.
Stopped at Wal-Mart for batteries (my camera and Ipod were both dying).
The cashier was nice enough to cut open the plastic blister pack for me.
Yeah, definately not in NJ anymore!
I spent a few minutes at a nice little "park" on the side of the road.
That's a pelican or something in the water there.
Next stop was the world's only corn palace.
The outside of the building is decorated with murals made only with corn and husks.
Annual cost? $13,000.
Admission was free though so that's a good thing!
Lots more murals and some history of corn type stuff inside.
On the way to my next location I pulled off onto a scenic overlook.
I was walking out to the edge and was greeted with this sign.
Now, that's something you do NOT want to see when you are out for a walk,
although it is better to see the sign than the snake.
Needless to say the walk was over.
I only had flip-flops on.
Exposed toes + poisonous snakes = trouble!
I did get this picture from the safety of a bench in the picnic area.
Back onto the highway.
For 200 miles I saw billboards for a place called Wall Drug.
Well, it must be good if that advertise it that much.
It was fun...lots of little shops inside.
Their nickname is the Ice Water Drug Store because
they built their business by giving out free ice water to travelers.
There's a whole story about how the owners wanted to use
the gifts God had given them to serve others.
On to the last stop: Mount Rushmore!
One fun fact is that flags from all 50 states are flying as you walk into the park area.
The state's name and what year they became a state are engraved on the marble pillars.
And did you ever wonder what's on the OTHER side of that mountain?
Well, now you know:
Sunset (taken on the loooong ride down from Mt. Rushmore).
The day was not over yet and I was still driving after the sun went down.
Ended up in Wyoming. Not the part I had expected to be in, but not too far off.
Thanks for all the prayers and comments and emails. I really do appreciate them!
2 comments:
wow great photos you're a photojournalist now put that on your resume with head chef/dir of housekping.... seriously i look 4wd to ur updates prayhing for your safe arrival in MOntana... what would Montana without MIss Hannah be anyway/// great descriptions of what you are seeing and heres a hug and corny peck on the cheek for you keep on pressing on chica!!!
aahhh yes so cool you visited the corn palace (every year there is a different theme) & wall drug (see all those signs u pass make u want to go visit it lol) and mount rushmore so cool! You made me remanisse my road trip there! Your moose is soo cute!!
Post a Comment