This week I was looking through the Costco Connection magazine. After reading the sappy stories about people who had Costco weddings I came across the recipes page. The first one was for Popeye's Ice Cream. They give credit for the recipe to "The Fresh Blends Cookbook" from Blendtec (http://www.blendtec.com/). Blendtec is the manufacturer of what they claim to be the world's best blender. Once in a while they will have a big demo table set up at Costco and a guy will be making all kinds of shakes and stuff for people to sample. Basic models are $400. so it will be a long time before I ever think of buying one!
Anyway, I decided to try making the Popeye's Ice Cream. Can you guess what's in it? It started as a joke because we have someone here who goes crazy over ice cream but is not a big fan of veggies. He promised to try it if I made it though!
Here's the recipe:
3/4 cup half and half or coconut milk (I used coconut milk - usually have some in the pantry)
1/4 cup agave nectar (Costco sells this for less than half the price of WalMart)
2/3 cup nonfat powdered milk (good to have in the pantry)
2 cups fresh spinach, lightly packed
1 1/2 TB vanilla extract (I use pure instead of imitation - it's worth the extra cost)
2 1/2 cups ice cubes
Makes 3 3/4 cups
Add all ingredients to a blender pitcher and secure the lid. It would be best to add the ingredients in order (which I did not do) so that they blend quicker and more evenly.
Blend at medium speed for 20 seconds, then high speed for 25 seconds or until smooth.
Since my ingredients were upside-down I had to press them down with a spoon between the blending cyles. Looks good so far, right?
It came out of the blender watery so I put it in the freezer.
Tune in tomorrow to see how it turned out!
6 comments:
an ice cream only a one-eyed pipe smoking sailor would love & I would like the flambe recipe!
Hook him up to a lie detector when he's commenting on it...who would have thought the day would ever come when ice cream is mixed with Spinach in an unholy union....the end is truly near!!!!!!
will have to try this b/c I LOVE SPINACH and I love ice cream... it looks yummy in a weird way...
I love both spinach and ice cream but the thought of them together...still, I would give it a taste. If it's good, then it's a win-win for me! :)
hmmm........not sure about that, i would give it a try though!!
Hmmmmmm.....the results seem to be suspiciously missing... :P
Post a Comment