BREAKFAST:
Burrito (scrambled egg, sausage, home fried potatoes with peppers and onions, shredded Cheddar/Jack cheese, salsa...in a tortilla)
Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake with Walnut Topping
Pears
LUNCH:
Thai Style Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Thai Style Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Basmati Rice
Steamed Broccoli
Mandarin Oranges
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, since today was National Oatmeal Cookie Day!
True story: This morning I was flipping through the camp's recipe book trying to decide what kind of cookie to make for dessert. I picked oatmeal raisin because I have not had them in a long time. After they were baked I found out it was "their special day". (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of them but they did not all get eaten so if anyone really wants to see them let me know.)
SUPPER:
Cheese Lasagna
Green Beans
Caesar Salad
French Bread (there was none left for me)
(Does anyone know how to officially count the layers of a lasagna? Is it how many layers of noodles, or how many layers of fillings, or how many layers of noodles plus fillings, or something else? Just wondering)
Dessert was
SMOKIN' SMORES
I first saw this idea at the camping conference we went to last month, and have noticed it several times since on catering and specialty food websites. This mens' group seemed to be the perfect time to try it out.
Use melted chocolate (either a good ganache or candy melts - anything that will harden after being melted) to "glue" a marshmallow or 2 to a graham cracker square. Leave 1 corner dry for a clothespin. After the chocolate has set attach a clothespin to each cracker. This will give you something to hold on to as you torch the marshmallow, and a safe way to pass it out.
As with any trend there are fancy and expensive presentation options available for purchase. I just arranged mine on a sheet pan with parchment paper. It's best to have them all set up a good amount of time before you need them.
Then comes the best part....use a butane torch to roast the marshmallow. Go around the edges and as the top part flames up, give it to the guest who will be eating it so they can blow it out.
This one's a bit well done. Do you know how hard it is to hold something and light it on fire and take a picture of it all at the same time? It's hard!
This dessert was a huge success. It is not expensive and makes a memorable experience. One guy ate 6 of them.
Food on a stick = fun
Food on fire = fun
Food on a stick AND on fire = so much fun
4 comments:
The Thai Chicken looks great, heck all the food looks good.
I like the compact s'mores idea. looks kewl!
Food on a stick AND on fire and don't get burned = so much more fun
chicken recipe
(http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-satay-w-peanut-coconut-sauce-49181)
I cut my chicken into thicker strips and baked them instead of skewereing and broiling.
This was easy and delicious with just a hint of heat in the sauce.
Oh, and I did not burn myself (or anyone else) but a few of the men said it looked like I was having too much fun. And I was!
All of that looks DELICIOUS! And s'mores to finish out the day...*sigh*
Post a Comment