Thursday, November 5, 2009

If I Only Had the Nerve


The Wizard of Oz...classic movie that I'm sure we have all enjoyed many times.
Rememberly the cowardly lion as they all prepare to approach the wizard?
(no, I'm not a movie dork - I copied this off a website but forgot to copy the website's address so proper credit will have to wait)
Cowardly Lion: Wait a minute, Fellows. I was just thinking. I really don't want to see the Wizard this much. I'd better wait for you outside.
Scarecrow: What's the matter?
Tin Woodsman: Oh, he's just a scared again.
Dorothy: Don't you know the Wizard's going to give you some courage?
Cowardly Lion: I'd be too scared to ask him for it. [sobs]
Dorothy: Well then, we'll ask him for you.
Cowardly Lion: I'd sooner wait outside.
Dorothy: Why? Why?
Cowardly Lion: Because I'm still scared. [sobs]
He had come so far, with this one goal in mind, and now that the end was near he was going to chicken out because he did not have enough courage to ask for courage!
This popped into my head in a spiritual way today, as I come to terms with some of my own fears. The Bible talks a lot about having courage; and men and women who, despite their fears or weaknesses, obeyed courageously.
A dear friend (love you S.B.) recently told me that "courage is faith in the face of fear".
Is my faith stronger than my fears? Can I look beyond my weaknesses to God's strength? Am I willing to start down a path when even the first step is scary? Will I keep my eyes on Jesus long enough to walk on water? Do I trust that He will close the mouths of lions I encounter, or that the fiery furnaces I enter will not burn me? Can I pick and choose which promises/blessings I will claim as my own and which I will still doubt? Will I go all the way to obedience, or just close enough that it does not become hard?
KUTLESS has a great song on their new "It is Well" CD (available at the Bible House, of course).
The song is called What Faith Can Do and it talks about taking the small everyday steps of faith. You can view a video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7elxC8LXfzE
What was the last big stop on your faith journey? I would love to hear the story!

No comments: