Yesterday I started reading "I Dare You: Embrace Life With Passion" by Joyce Meyer.
Now, she is not one of my favorite authors (although she does have some good things to say) but the title sounded interesting and the book was on clearance and I had a B&N gift card to use so I decided to purchase it.
Chapter 7 is called Eight Ways to Waste Your Time.
First sentences: "There is a Web site you can visit called Bored.com. Its whole purpose is to offer 'fun stuff while you are bored.'"
That's as far as I got in the book (so far). I'm wondering if I am the only one who (at least temporarily) gave up the book to check out that webiste.
Not to leave you hanging, I skimmed ahead to find her list of 8 wastes of time:
~worry
~guilt
~trying to change what only God can change
~complaining
~anger
~fear
~blame
~comparisons
I wonder if I multi-task and do several of these at once if it is still a waste of time? LOL j/k
No worries... I will continue the reading until the book is done!
**Special note to my literary friends: I am sorry for any incorrect puncuation in this posting. Titles and quotes and lists - oh my!
3 comments:
While her list is true and to the point, it feels kind of vague. Like yes, fear can waste your time, but when you first see it on the list you don't really think of fear as an automatic time waster. And also, fear can be a motivator -- as can comparisons. We can fear that we aren't as smart as others, and that can motivate us to try harder, to seek out help, to take classes, etc.
Also, what does it mean to waste time? Sometimes it's those meanderings, those long baths, those movies, those dinners out with friends that inspire and motivate and lead to a better understanding of ourselves and our culture. We may not be productive, but we are living life and in living life we gain knowledge for being more productive at a later time.
Of course, it's all about the balance and being honest with yourself.
Yes, the list is kind of vague. She does some explaining throughout the chapter of how she came to add each item to her list.
I had some major fears the past few weeks and they brought me closer to God than I ever felt before and helped me to know Him in some new and exciting ways.
This "vagueness" is one of the reasons that she is not a favorite author of mine.
**to clarify: it was not my fears, exactly, that drew me towards God; but process of working through them.
It is when we allow fear to paralyze us that it becomes a waste of time.
Post a Comment