Saturday, June 11, 2011

National German Chocolate Cake Day

Today is National German Chocolate Cake Day!

A big goal of my project is education. I want to learn more about what I am making and pass along that knowledge. Fact: German Chocolate Cake is actually nicht deutsch (not German).

According to http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/, German Chocolate Cake is an American creation that contains the key ingredients of sweet baking chocolate, coconut, and pecans. This cake was not brought to the American Midwest by German immigrants. The cake took its name from an American with the last name of "German" In most recipes and products today, the apostrophe and the "s" have been dropped, thus giving the false hint as for the chocolate's origin.
1852 - Sam German created the mild dark baking chocolate bar for Baker's Chocolate Company in 1852. The company name the chocolate in his honor - "Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate."

1957 -The first published recipe for German's chocolate cake showed up in a Dallas newspaper in 1957 and came from a Texas homemaker. The cake quickly gained popularity and its recipe together with the mouth-watering photos were spread all over the country. America fell in love with German Chocolate cake.

So, now we know!

I used the recipe found here: http://www.food.com/recipe/german-chocolate-cake-3169, and it worked very well. I left each of the 3 layers as a single layer cake and just frosted the tops. The cake had a nice, light, spongy texture and the frosting was super rich with a hint of caramel flavor.









Today was a laid-back kind of day around here, as most Saturdays are since there are no campers here. The entire staff ate breakfast together, then some of the college staff took all of the high school staff out for a long hike. We had a late supper when they returned, and then enjoyed some s'mores around the campfire.





Camp Menu

B) Fritatta (potatoes, peppers, and onions baked in an egg mix)

Sausage Links

Bagels with Spreads

Fruit and Cereal

L) Sack lunches for the hikers: sandwiches, trail mix, apple or orange, celery sticks / baby carrots, sweet treat (candy bar, fruit snack, granola bar), sport drink


Help yourself for those who stayed at camp: leftovers or sandwiches

Really, I'm not even sure what exactly they ate because they did such a great job of cleaning up after themselves!


D) I cheated a little and used "prepared" foods since I had a very busy afternoon running errands all over town. But nobody minded and they all really enjoyed the comfort foods - perfect after their long, active day. There were no leftovers! Maybe I should keep it simple more often.


Baked Chicken Tenders

Mashed Potatoes with Gravy

Peas

German Chocolate Cake

No comments: