Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Two Food Firsts For Me Today

Today is National Lobster Day!

My First 1st was cooking a lobster.
My Second 1st was making popcorn on the stove without burning myself or making a huge mess.

I have never cooked a lobster before, and they're not really one of my favorite things to eat either. Plus they are expensive. But the food fest must go on! I wanted a recipe where lobster was just an ingredient. My first thought was bisque, but after some research into that I changed my mind. My second thought was to do a lobster risotto.



I purchased some frozen lobster tails and gave them a quick boil. I used my basic risotto recipe and while there was still some liquid left I divided the risotto into two serving dishes. I added chicken to one pan and lobster to the other. This way people had a choice. I felt bad having to "ration" the lobster one but there wasn't much and I needed to be certain that everyone who wanted a taste got some.








The men had decided halfway through the day that they were going on a hike to cookout and do Braveheart type stuff in the woods in honor of "Man Day" but they begged me to save them some. For second servings the ladies only got to have the chicken risotto. There was plenty and everyone seemed to enjoy it.


Tomorrow's food holiday will be a huge challenge for me!


Camp Menu

B)Apple Wraps
Coffee Cake
Grapefruit
Yogurt with Granola
Cereal

L)Sloppy Joes
leftover chicken wings, corn dogs, and broccoli salad
Ranch Macaroni Salad
Underwater Salad (berry blue gelatin with Swedish Fish and whipped topping)

D)girls
Risotto: plain, chicken, lobster
Caesar Salad
Cream Puffs
leftover German chocolate cake


D) guys
Sirloin Burgers
Hot Dogs
Croutons (I thought it was a bag of chips I packed. HA! My bad, but the guys loved them)
Root Beer
S'mores: with Hershey's Chocolate or Reeses Peanut Butter Cup

1 comment:

Sabrina Steyling said...

I've never actually had lobster before, to be honest. The underwater salad sounds fun! And the s'mores with peanut butter cups, well...I'm dying here. Really. :)