Friday, June 17, 2011

...one of my favorite things...

Today is National Apple Strudel Day!

Today is also National Eat All Your Veggies Day, and in today's mail there was a free sample issue of Vegetarian Times.

One of the staff kids played a VonTrapp daughter in her school's Sound of Music play this Spring and I was humming the My Favorite Things song while I baked.

The strudel almost didn't get made because I was very busy (since I'm off all day tomorrow and Sunday morning I had to have everything available and arranged for people to be able to feed themselves). As supper was being served I finally got around to starting and it went in the oven at 7:30pm. The bake time was 45 minutes and it took just about that long for me to finish cleaning the kitchen and getting things organized.





The recipe is from the Taste of Home website (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Apple-Strudel-2) and came together relatively quickly. One of our guys on staff was very impressed with my apple peeler/corer/slicer and ended up doing all the apples for me. Two others had a contest to see who could finish eating an entire length of peel first without using their hands. One of the little staff kids brushed the butter on some of the phyllo dough sheets for me. We had conversations about the differences between streussel and strudel, and about baklava. Good times in the kitchen tonight!
We ended up eating it as a special snack after our evening fireside time. It was tasty but I could tell that I rushed making it. It's all good as long as it tastes good!

Camp Menu
B) Sausage, Egg, and Cheese on English Muffin
Strawberry-Banana Smoothies
Cereal

L) BBQ (It's a YAA tradition that on the last day of each camp session we invite the campers' families to come for an awards ceremony and stay for a bbq. This has been a great way for counselors to interact with the parents and share stories of the week.)
Burgers, Polish Sausage, Chips, Watermelon, Brownies, Lemonade

D) Soupy Casserole Stuff (aka...upscaled leftovers)
Ham, Broccoli, Potato in Cheese Soup
Fajita Chicken, Peppers and Onions, Rice, Black Beans in Tomato Soup
Rolls and Crackers

1 comment:

Jack McKenzie said...

The strudel looks YummY