Monday, June 20, 2011

Shake It Up

Today is National Vanilla Milkshake Day!



Whenever I think "How hard could that be?" I find out how hard it can be!


First off I forgot to buy the ice cream. Now, I have already committed to myself to not waste time making ANY extra trips to the grocery store this week. Good thing I remembered that we have some little cups of vanilla ice cream down in the camp store. They have been there for a while but are still good. Plus I am getting ready to order some new product for there and could use the room. So I "bought" those to use in the kitchen.




I loaded up the blender with milk, ice cream and some malt powder. I needed enought for 60 people. First batch came out fine. Second batch came out fine. With the third batch I started to smell smoke. That's never a good sign. Sure enough the blender stopped working. It still powers but the blades are not spinning. I'll have one of the men check it tomorrow.


So only halfway into my project I needed a plan B. How about the food processor? That seemed like a good idea. My processor looks a lot like this one, with a little chute thing on the front of it.








I dumped everything into the bowl and set it to pulse. Well it mixed fine but proceeded to spew milk out of the chute all.over.the.counter.and.onto.my.shoes. *sigh*.




I salvaged what I could from that batch and started the 4th batch. Only smaller. It worked fine, as did the 5th and 6th batches. By then I was out of ice cream (and patience). Thankfully I ended up with the exact amount of cups I needed. I love when that happens!


In summary: they were messy and not too thick but it's all good as long as it tastes good! And taste good they did. That's what I heard anyway since I did not actually get one. Which is fine. Plain vanilla is not my favorite and ice cream gives me the hiccups. When I got home I found some mini peanut butter cups in my freezer. YUM!





Camp Menu

B) Scrambled Eggs

Sausage Links

Waffles

Yogurt and Granola

Fruit

Cereal


L) Sloppy Joe

Tater Tots

Baby Carrots and Celery Sticks

Crispy Rice Bars


D) Chicken and Biscuits

Caesar Salad

Vanilla Milkshakes

1 comment:

Sabrina Steyling said...

Kudos to you for trying, because for me it tends not to be "How hard can this be?" but rather "How will I mess this up?" LOL :)