Thursday, June 16, 2011

Oh, Fudge! (And Another Food First)

Today is National Fudge Day!


I started this project with a slight feeling of trepidation. You see, I have tried at least 4 times previously with different recipes to make fudge and they were all came out horrible. Even the ones called "no-fail" fudge were no match for me. I failed. So sad.

Today I was determined to be successful. Not just because of the food challenge, or the blog post, but because I had 40+ friends counting on me and looking forward to homemade fudge. No pressure, right?

First I had to find a recipe that I had all the ingredients for and that did not sound terribly difficult. I thought I kept a very well stocked camp kitchen but lately there always seems to be something that I don't have. I ended up on the cooking for engineers website(http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/98/Condensed-Milk-Fudge).
3 ingredients, 4 steps. Sounded simple enough. And simple it was. Finally, success!
The only change I had to make was to form them in 8" round pans instead of square since that is all we had.










The flavors (from left to right) are cookies and cream, butterscotch, peanut butter, and original.



This recipe is definately a keeper. I want to experiment with more flavors and mix-ins.



If you remember from last night's post I accidentally sent a bag of croutons to a bbq instead of chips. So for fun tonight at supper I put chips on the salad instead of croutons. Everyone who knew the story thought it was very funny.



It's all good as long as it tastes good!





Camp Menu







  • B) Breakfast Pizzas - sausage, eggs, cheese


  • Yogurt with Granola


  • Fruit


  • Cereal






  • L) Chicken Patty Sandwich


  • Tortilla Chips with Salsa


  • Celery Sticks, Baby Carrots, Cucumber Sticks


  • Soccer Practice Bars (oatmeal, peanut butter chocolate chip)






  • D) Chili Pie (chili con carne with cornbread topping)


  • Caesar Salad


  • Fudge and Ice Cream

2 comments:

Sabrina Steyling said...

Oh dear. Hannah, I might just have to stop following your blog because you talk about such drool-worthy food on here! That fudge looks sooo yummy!

LOL - you know I'd never stop following your blog! Keep up the good work, my friend. :)

Beth said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am LOVING this daily food day stuff, and once I get to NJ and all my stuff gets there too, I totally plan on coming back and trying some of your recipes!