Yesterday I got a great deal on berries at our local grocery store. Their produce department keeps a pretty well stocked discount area. They occasionally have boxes containing 8 1 pound packs of strawberries for $4.99, because there are a couple of moldy ones. I buy those boxes when I see them, discard the few bad berries (only 4 this time) and give the rest a very good washing. Once sliced they are great for smoothies or fruit syrup or on yogurt.
It was hard to find a recipe that did not suggest using a store bought pound cake or angel food cake and prepared whipped topping. I wanted something more authentic so I went with this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-shortcake-a-la-treebeards-41156. It used homemade shortcakes layered with homemade strawberry sauce, sliced strawberries, and freshly whipped cream. Delish!
They were not all "structurally sound" and some toppled over in their bowls, but it's all good as long as it tastes good. I think that will be one of my mottos this Summer. The leftovers will be made into a trifle or something later this week. Or maybe just put on the up for grabs shelf.

Camp Menu
B) Blueberry Pancakes
Oatmeal with Toppings
Cottage Cheese
Pineapple Chunks
L) Corn Dogs - plain and jalapeno cheddar
Tater Tots
Broccoli Salad (that counts as a veggie, right?)
Crispy Rice Treats
D) Rice Bowls (Mexican chicken over cilantro rice with black beans)
Toppings (shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, olives, jalapenos)
Tortilla Chips
Baby Carrots
Strawberry Shortcake
1 comment:
Your menus remind me of a skit on the old show Hew Haw - Grandpa- Whats for Supper. Change it to Hannah - Whats on the menu?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCbw0BLS4m0&feature=related
Post a Comment